GripBoard Mash Monster Rules
1. The gripper must be upright. No inversion allowed.
2. Magnesium Carbonate is the only substance allowed on the hands.
3. The gripping hand or arm cannot be touched in any way after the set of the gripper except by the torso, as described in rule #5. No holding of the gripper spring after the close is started. ONLY 3 attempts are allowed and must ALL be performed within 15 minutes of the first attempt. It is considered an attempt when the gripper is set and an attempt to close is made. If the hand does not come off the gripper and the other hand is not used to reset the gripper it only counts as one attempt. If the candidate is strong enough to rep it, more power to them! However, "screwing around" with the cert gripper outside of the normal 3 attempts will invalidate the certification.
4. The gripper can be set with the opposite hand - but not to closer than parallel handles. The setting hand must be clearly removed to observe the close.
5. No bracing is allowed to set the gripper. That is, one cannot use their legs, arms, or other parts of their body (except their opposite hand) to set the gripper at the start of the close. In addition, no part of the arm below the elbow is allowed to contact any part of the body, with anywhere from the elbow and above being allowed to contact only the torso.
6. The handles must touch.
7. The gripper cannot be altered in any way prior to the attempt (e.g., no clamps, etc. added to the gripper).
8. The close must be video taped. The video must be of sufficient quality to take a CLEAR still of the gripper handles shown touching (the equivalent of taking a still picture with a camera). The video must then be submitted to Wannagrip for judging. VHS, 8mm, 8mm digital, or digital format from digital cameras are fine. ANY posting of stills or video clips before the attempt is officially judges and the attempt will be deemed INVALID.
9. For all levels, the handle ends must CLEARLY be shown to prove it is an IM#3 or the respective MMG level gripper. The Mash Monster seal must also be shown to be unbroken on camera prior to the attempt. A broken seal will disqualify the attempt. The gripper can go "off camera" during the attempt if it is deemed by the judges to not be done for the purpose of deception.
10. Three judges from the GripBoard will review the video and vote with a 2 out of 3 verdict passes the certification. The witness is not a judge of the attempt.
11. Having a witness is not required, however, if a member of the board can arrange to be your witness, then that would be ideal. The witness will bear no decision rights as to a completion or non completion of the certification attempt(s).
12. No member can signup or attempt an MMG1 or higher levels unless they have been certified as a Mash Monster. Higher levels are qualified by certifying at the lower level (e.g., must certify at Level 1 to try to cert at Level 2).
13. The gripper box must be opened on the video. The gripper will be then sent back to steward of the Mash Monster Certs. Failure to open the package containing the gripper on video before the attempt will void the certification. (Note: this is NOT required for the entry level MMG0)
14. Must be a member with good standing on the board.
15. Multiple Certs. Each candidate should just follow the rules as is and ignore the fact they are performing the feat together. Each person must first assume a role of witness and proof and then assume the role of certifying on the MMG. The gripper can only come out of the box once and the video MUST be continuous from one cert attempt to the next. Each person should follow the rule of posting in the thread as being the witness for the other member. Each person pays the appropriate fee as though each were certifying alone. However, the candidates can share the expense of sending back the gripper to home base. No cert can be attempted without stating the desire to do so on the grip board.
16. No other person can touch the certifying athlete in any fashion during the attempt or the attempt is negated.
17. The athlete has 48 hours to make the certification attempt after the gripper arrives. Failure to do so forfeits the certification attempt.
Additional Rules Specific to the Mash Monster 0 (entry level).
18. The gripper for the MMG0 certification is an IronMind #3 Gripper. The gripper is not test selected and can be the gripper owned by the athlete. So, variances in grippers are allowed and it's possible that at person could close an MMG level gripper at or even above the MMG1.